Monday, August 3, 2009

Morgan goes to Kindergarten!













Tyler walks Morgan to school.
Tyler realizes his buddy is gone.
Tyler after his nap, and his buddy is still gone!
Tyler wanting to go to kindergarten!

It's here! My baby is officially big! Today Morgan started Kindergarten! Jared took his lunch break during her start time so he could be with us, which made it extra special and extra emotional for me to send our baby off into the world together! This may sound silly to all you mom's out there who have school aged kids, but for me it was exciting and horrible at the same time.


When we first got there we got to do a few fun activities together with the parents and the students, then Mrs. Calderon read us all a story called "The Kissing Hand." Its about a racoon who didn't want to leave his mother to go to school. He was very sad and concerned to leave his mother. To help him be brave, she gave him a special kiss in his palm to take with him, and told him to put it to his cheek if ever he needed to feel his mother's love. (sniff sniff) Well the little racoon used his kissing palm, and held it to his cheek all throughout his day at school, and when he returned home he gave his mommy a big kiss in her hand, and said "I love you mommy!" I don't think there was a dry eye of any mother in the room, and I could tell many of the dad's were choke'n it back as well.



The part that ended it for me is when Mrs. Calderon made us all do the kissing hand. We were then asked to kiss the palm of our little 5 year old and have them kiss ours as we separated for the day. That's where I lost it. As I walked down the hall with Jared, the tears just fell. Trusting her in the hands of the school district and the influences of the kids around her.



There was a double whammy for me when I got home. Little buddy Tyler having to deal with his feelings of not getting to go with sister, and not having his playmate throughout the afternoon was very disapointing. I tried to soften the blow by taking his hand and sitting him on my lap and reading to him, then taking him to his room to play cars. This seemed to apease his sad feelings long enough to get him down for a nap. As soon as he woke up he was once again very disappointed that she was not home yet. He got his socks and shoes on as fast as he could to be ready for the walk to go get her. Above you can see his pictures of walking Morgan to school, and then a little later the realization that she is not around as much to play.



I still have a lump in my throat, and can't seem to write about the subject without crying all over again, so to make it short and sweet it was an exciting and emotional afternoon, and one I will never forget.

11 comments:

Kim L. said...

HOLY, CUTENESS! love her outfit. So stylish. Poor Tyler...we definitely need to get together.

Gosfam said...

I can't believe they started there already. Kendall's first day is September 8th. I am sure i will have issues :) She got to go for 3 experimental days in May and that was even hard. Very cute outfit Morgan has on too,

Kathleen Smart - Braden said...

You made me laugh then cry ! Oh how tender the "Mother Hearts" are on days like this. giggle....

I remember having all these same feeling when YOU got married Rachelle. I broke out balling as I turned to walk away down the hall in the TEMPLE..... (you were my 1st to get married)

I'm delighted to hear the Jared got to go too ! That is really special....

Sending all my Love, Kathleen
(I'll call and talk to Morgan and hear about her special day)

Chrystal said...

She's soo dang stylin and adorable! Yikes - I don't think it was a good idea for me to read this the night before I have to go through it with Clarissa! I know we won't get 30 minutes in Clarissa's class...that was pretty nice! Cool that Jared got to come too! Wish us luck - we have the BIG DAY tomorrow! Kiss your lil Kindergartner for us and her disappointed sibs too! xxx ooo

M2QC said...

What a cute and sweet post. Morgan is so beautiful and I love the pics you took of her! I already have a lump in my throat about kindergarten and it's a year away!! No fair for the teacher to read a tear-jerker on the first day - it's like that tear-jerker movie they used to show in the MTC right before the missionaries and families separated! Way to go getting through day 1 - and you've already scrapbooked it? What!? You're awesome!

Kristin said...

of course she looks absolutely adorable (just like her mother) for her first day of school.

let's get together SOON!

Steph said...

So fun! She looks adorable! I am sure I will be a reck when it is Noahs turn! Tyler is such a doll. Poor thing losing his friend for such a long time each day...hard to understand I am sure! You are too cute Shell..Love you.

Crystal said...

What a big girl she is now! And so stylish too!

Love the pics....as always

Zedic said...

How Precious! What a day! What a sight to see all of you take Morgan to school! thats so special...what a memory :) sad to see little tyler buddy all bummed...let us no how he fares as it goes on...hooray for morgan :)

Tara Hoppie said...

What a darling girl Morgan is. I'm so sorry her teacher made things even more difficult! What was she thinking??? Anyway, loved the post, loved the pics, love you!

Alison Hall said...

How can it be possible that these kids are that old already?!? I can't stand it! Time is racing by...

Morgan looks ADORABLE!!!